Just because the weather is cold outside, it doesn’t mean you have to suffer with high energy bills as you turn up your thermostat to enjoy greater comfort. If you are familiar with the high heating bill that comes with trying to remain comfortable in your own home, you may be wondering if there is anything you can do to reduce your bills without sacrificing your heat. In fact, turning down your thermostat to 68 degrees or lower can reduce your heating bill significantly, and there are a few ways you can keep your thermostat set lower while still enjoying your time at home.
1. Cover Windows and Patio Doors – If you live in an older home or you have a room with a patio door that provides a window to the outside world, then you know that you can have serious drafts and cold air infiltrating your home. One easy way to alleviate this problem is by covering your windows and sliding doors with clear plastic film. You’ll still get plenty of daylight without the cold air.
2. Insulate Your Attic Access – As warm air rises, you may find that the places you go the least are the biggest culprit when it comes to your heating bill. One such area is your attic access, which can easily take away the heat you are trying to keep in your home. Adding insulation can make a big difference in your home comfort level.
3. Tune Up Your Furnace and Gas Fireplace – If you are using your furnace and gas fireplace regularly, having a professional give them a tune-up will help them operate more efficiently, and therefore save you money on your heating bill each month.
4. Enjoy the Sun – Even during the winter, you can still get the warmth of the sun’s rays by opening your curtains and giving yourself a clear view of the outside world. This will provide hours of natural heating without the need to crank your thermostat up.
5. Keep Your Vents Clear – Do you have a heating vent somewhere in your living room, but it’s covered up by a couch or your entertainment center? Making sure your heating registers are clear of any furniture and other blockages will ensure that your heating system can adequately blow in the air you need to keep your home warm.
At All About Care Heating & Air Inc., we know that keeping comfortable during the cold winter months is at the top of your priority list, but that doesn’t mean you have to pay extravagant costs to achieve your goals. If you need a tune-up or are experiencing heating problems, just give us a call, and we’ll be happy to help!